I have used this jacket for about 2 plus years.
This is not a cycling specific jacket, but a sports jacket, but I think it it’s good for cycling.
The arm zippers:
To close them while riding, you have to do the bicep bodybuilder move, which will hold the jacket in the sleeve in place while you zip it up, do it carefully of course.
- excellent fit, which you can see in the video above, yes this jacket is very comfortable, there isn’t a point where I feel like it’s annoying or restricting or uncomfortable in any other way, I can move freely.
- easily fit into a backpack, it’s so thin and flexible it’s easy to roll up & fold up to get into the bottom of a backpack.
- the jacket covers up the neck, which is a necessary feature to have, there are some jackets out there that have too low neck coverage, but of course, I still use 2 Buff’s for maximum coverage, covering my face with one & neck with the other one.
- Good coverage. I went with size XL, size L could fit me, for walking, but I went with the XL so I had full coverage, so the when my arms are down my hands are inside the jacket, but when having it on when riding and moving in all directions and stretching my arms and moving my upper body backwards, the jacket covers everything, and I don’t get wet.
- The velcro sleeve wrist adjustment works great, there is great room for big ski gloves to go on the inside of the sleeve, and the Velcro adjustment is a good proof solution to adjust for maximum protection/coverage, no matter if you use huge gloves or thin gloves, you can adjust it to fit with ease.
- well placed venting zippers, so when I began to be too hot, I just unzipped them and I stayed the perfect temperature.but when wearing a backpack you can’t fully unzip the zippers, but that is not a big deal, But you have to be careful unzipping it, as these zippers are more fragile than the heavy duty zippers.
- the hood fit perfectly under the helmet, and it has adjustment i the back head and 2 in the front, but it is not in the way of the helmet adjustment which is great.
- Excellent fit, perfect for mountain biking.
- the adjustments are placed in the perfect spots.
- 2 big & well placed front pockets
- the jacket has an adjustment in the hood & the bottom, which is also a feature that is necessary to keep water & mud out, it’s easily adjusted.
- I can wear the POC elbow pads without any fit issues.
- the front of the hood is stiffer than the rest
- you can roll it and put it in your backpack, it takes little space. so its perfect for me, as the weather can change from warm summer weather to cold and rainy weather the same day.
- I have ridden in -9 Celsius with only Swix base layer and a jersey under this jacket, I stayed warm, but I also did a ride in -11 Celsius I stayed warm but if I was still too long I felt bit colder, so if I am very active, I won’t get cold in -11 degrees, but, if your activity is not intense, another jersey should do fine.
The jacket fabric:
I crashed few times, but the latest crash, I jumped a root over & over a log and landed, due to my back twisting and I lost control, and my bike went to the left I went on the right and, the jacket’s sleeve landed on the gravel-covered asphalt, I got a small hole, on the left sleeve. but after being used for a really long time afterwards the hole did not get any bigger.
The velcro stitching on the sleeves loosened up, but it is to expect & long term use.
the zipper is definitely the biggest weak point of this jacket.
2 of the lower pins in the zipper, bent so I had to bend it back, but it came keeps coming back to pent position, I don’t know why this happened, maybe in one of the few crashes I had.
This jacket is a seasonless jacket, it can be used no matter the season, in my opinion, no matter if you run, ride, or ski.
But the Zipper has to be improved, it’s too easy to damage it, This is the first of this type of zipper I have ever used, But I have used many clothes with YKK zipper, but they all were bigger.
Product pages: http://catalog.bergans.us/clothing/jackets/shell/Airojohka-Jkt-Green-Tea-Lime-Navy-L-163309-p0001052230
I found this German review: http://ich-liebe-berge.ch/test-bergans-airojohka-jacket/