Since the first version in of the review in 2017 I have had a lot more experience with this helmet, there are some flaws that should need to be addressed.
I have used the helmet since summer 2016 and now it’s spring.
This helmet is probably one of the most popular & reviewed helmets out there but here is my review. I was so satisfied with this helmet I ordered the exact model for the second time.
I will never do mountain biking without a full face helmet,even For just commutes I use this helmet.
- Very comfortable & secure fit, This is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn so far.
- Good air flow, the ears stay cool, and every thing else, but of course the motofoam in the front of the chin guard will, of course give less air flow, so on really hot days you might notice the extra heat, but it’s not huge difference for me.
- double D-ring
- doesn’t scratch easily.
- the carbon shell makes this a very durable helmet, unlike helmets with plastic shells, that dent just by hits from some small branches, the carbon shell won’t crack or dent even if the bike the back of it in a downhill fall.
- the inserts are easy to remove.
- at 1100 grams the helmet is not light, but I got used to it quite fast, and it doesn’t effect me much, but a lighter helmet would be nice.
- The cheek pads/inserts wear out, they get compressed and get too thing, so the helmet will eventually wiggle, I noticed the chin guard hitting my face. so after few months I have to swap them for new cheek pads/inserts. a better solution is needed.
- After few months of use I noticed the MIPS has cracked, I noticed this after taking the helmet off, this happen only on one of the two helmets I got.
The glue failed to rubber skirting, the adhesive is not strong enough to hold it, Fox helmets had problems with this in the past. when you hold the helmet on the chin guard & you will flex the skirting in many directions which loosen it up. but of course, you can glue it back, it’s an easy job
But fixing the chin guard skirting is quite easy:
the next step is to use tape to hold the strips in place.
2018 the stitching on the strap sleeve tore
March 2018 the plastic visor bolt failed on both helmets, one time it was while riding on the a trail.
So I eventually secured the visor with Gorilla tape.
Some of the paint cracked near the visor mount.
I have not had any issues with this helmet apart for the chin guard skirting.
Here is me wearing the helmet with 100% RaceCraft Plus Goggle, with the old camera setup.
I eventually switched to chin cam, which I managed do do with zip ties and the male part of the GoPro mount.
I used a 2014 model, the shell got loose. and the strap sleeve had damaged button, but this must have been someone in a store that managed to damage it, but with the 2016 helmet I have not had any issues with the buttons, which I was not sure about would hold up, but so far they did, But magnets might be better. If there is anything else I will update you on it.
Flickr Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRdE8c9