- better sound quality than a cheap old school phone,
- wet-finger tracking wet works pretty well
- gets h quite hot when using sportify for mroe thna 30 minutes, or takign pictures a lot.
- I have to charge the phone very often, I have to charge it 2 up to 4 times in a day if I take alto of pictures.
- the monitor/screen does not get bright enough on max brightness, for a sunny day, it’s impossible to see anything unless you cover it with something, so shooting trails in sunny days is tricky, I just have to guess what I am shooting, and shoot many picture.
- Very flexy design. It looks like its made out of metal but it’s not its plastic.
- Power on button is constantly getting stuck, the frame is made of flexy plastic.
- The flimsiest Micro USB port I have ever seen, if you touch your phone or small vibration i n the desk when connected it will disconnect and connect, because of the movement.
- there is no camera app installed, besides Google camera app which is not good at all, lacks all controls,like manual ISO and flash settings and focus settings,
- Body/chassis: flex and play in the phone chassis the fake aluminium plastic sides can loosen a bit,if you are strong enough you could probably bend the phone.
- there is flex in the chassis, which results in the On/OFF button getting stuck.
- I have dropped the phone few times,and the left upper side-wall is looser/got play.
- I dropped my phone accidentally one time and the on/off button got dislocated and did slide to the side, but i managed to push it back in place.
- sim card and SD card cover can very easily open when the cover kits something and it his right where the fingernail gap is.
- the phone did not come with pre-installed screen protection sticker, the sticker on the screen had writing and-and sticker on it so you could not use the screen, so I put the protector sticker that came with it but as you probably already know h they can be a hell to put on
- front camera/selfie camera is useless
- the black backplate do not give you extra grip as they say
- useless for video recording in the woods & pictures
- unless at night-time very much blur and noise in the dark shots, and sunshine is and for a photo shoot too, it will make light and reflective objects white.
video example 1:
video example 2:
This is how bad the picture can look like if i use blitz,and its dark,and I wear blue shorts,there is no blue spot on this bike frame, and as you can see green becomes lime color. this is one of the reasons you should not use the default Google camera app.
Norwegian winter time evening test:
Extreme light test: here is a test i did by taking some shots at a Gemini Xera light with max light mode on
To take a decent shot with this phone you need to have a pretty even environment, not like in the woods with dark and very bright sun at the same time, the camera just cant handle it.
camera lens sticks out i should be protected more
Examples of decent shots: as long as you select the best ISO and Exposure settings, you can get ok pictures
here is a frame from a video i just cropped it.
The left is original and right is edited in DxO Optics Pro 8 just to show about how it actually looks like in real life that the s50 phone camera struggles with, as you can see the video quality is very bad, and every thing is blurred.editing helps a lot,but cant fix the blurriness of the shots or videos.
with the app called Open camera with the flash light mode on ,frame by frame while moving the camera/phone: this is a ok frame but 15 frames later you can see that its’s very blurred
side walk evening test autumn (with way too high iso)
its possible to take pictures without noise like this but, you need a camera app with manual ISO.
manual control of all settings will improve the pictures a lot.
ISO Examples of the S50 with Open Camera app:
this phone is more durable than cheap phones and more robust than some older expensive phones, but i am disappointed with the phone,if you have this phone you have to download a camera app, to sue the full capabilities of this camera I recommend Open camera(its open course and of course its free) the open camera app will let you use Burst mode, witch is taking multiple shots after each other.
Focal is the fastest app I have tried, the picture is taken instantly.
get the Open camera app here ( if you need geotagging, but don’t need exposure circle)
or try some other apps, i have not tried all of them.
Free camera apps:
This phone has too many flaws,so i cant recommend this phone.